Public Meeting on Dolores Park Renovation February 6th
The well-loved amenities of Dolores Park are in need of significant renovation. From mostly invisible infrastructure such as irrigation and drainage improvements to the more apparent needs for improved tennis courts and restroom access. The Recreation and Parks Department will be holding one of their final public meetings early next month before releasing the completed planning documents for the renovation project. The project has been split into two parts; the first being the new Helen Diller Mission Dolores Playground (which is already completed) and the second an $11.7 million renovation of the park grounds.
So far, the proposed plan includes:
- improved ADA-compliant entries and pathways
- renovated sport courts (including a new multi-use court)
- a new operations building beneath the basketball court
- 2 new restroom buildings (HOOORAY!)
- removal of the current operations/restroom building
- proposed improvements to the MUNI tracks
- safe crossing across Church Street
- entirely new irrigation and drainage
- new picnic areas
- a completely renovated multi-use field
- 2 improved dog play areas
- and overall rehabilitation of the landscape.
Scott Wiener wrote in his latest email newsletter that, “All of these improvements are possible while respecting the widely-held community desire to fix Mission Dolores Park while changing it as little as possible.”
Recreation and Parks staff will be hosting a meeting to communicate progress on the Renovation on February 6th from 5:30PM – 7:30PM. The location of the meeting has not yet been determined, but we will let you know where the meeting will be located when it is announced.