Tuesday Business Bits

Gyro Xpress at old K*Pop location (photo: Roy McKenzie)
Gyro Xpress at old K*Pop location (photo: Roy McKenzie)

There is a lot of business activity going on in the Castro lately so I thought I would just wrap it together in one easy to digest post.

Movement at old Industrialists location (2201 Market Street)

Lease sign is down, security stickers have been posted in windows, and the space has been divided into rooms with low walled areas. Perhaps an office space of some kind?

Pica Pica is closed for modifications (3970 17th Street)

Following a trend in the Castro with Sweet Inspiration closed yesterday for deep cleaning and Harvey’s reopening today after a week of general maintenance and cleaning, Pica Pica kitchen at 17th

Harvey’s reopening at 11am (500 Castro Street)

We reported last week that Harveys was undergoing some maintenance after being open for 6 years without being closed for more than a day. They reopen their doors today at 11am. Head on over, grab a bite (and maybe a Bloody Mary), and say hello!

Sweet Inspiration reopen

Sweet inspiration was closed yesterday for a deep cleaning. The coffee and sweets location reopened this morning.

Gyro Xpress nearly ready to open (499 Castro Street)

Gyro Xpress has quickly made its way into the old K*Pop location at the corner of 18th and Castro. Signage is already switched out and a menu is posted in the window (I tried to get a photo of the menu last night but the photo was blurry, will go down there and update the post). Expect them to be serving up convenient Mediterranean bites soon.

via Steven Bracco

1. josh says:

Sweet Inspiration is closed every Monday.

2. Jim Hauck says:

Sounds like Industrialists will become a new lab space? Surprised no one can figure out what is coming.

Looks like Illy is also changing the front of the store to extend the floor space to the window versus display space. Guessing they want to have window seating. Interesting to see a quick change to improve the space.

3. Sasha says:

Any ideas on what has cursed the Gyro Xpress location (formerly K*Pop, formerly the soup place) in recent years? Wolf Camera seemed to do well there for years, but since then, no restaurant has pulled it off for very long. Were the last two tenants poorly managed, or is there something about the space and/or location that makes it challenging for restaurants?

• DerekSF says:

I went to Soup Freaks once and only once, the staff was incompetent, the food was overpriced and dry, there were flys everywhere, and it felt like eating in a hospital cafeteria. K-Pop was better, but outside happy hour the prices were expensive for what you got, and they had service issues as well. It’s a great location, someone needs to capitalize on the 2am drunk and hungry crowd.

• In my opinion, I feel like the space was too big for something simple like soup for Soup Freaks and K*Pop was too expensive, the ambiance too unfinished, and the food was just not that great. I wish Gyro Xpress all the luck in the world. I hope they can make it work.

• sjg says:

The rent is very high. You have to turn a lot of food and liquor to turn a profit.

4. I’m going to close for a deep cleaning next Monday.

5. sjg says:

It strikes me odd that a restaurant only open for about a year needs to be “deep cleaned”. First they eliminated lunch service and then the reduced to winter hours (closed Mon-Tues), not good signs. I have never seen a restaurant in the Castro shut down for two days if there wasn’t a fair chance that business is not so hot. Come to think of it, I never have seen any restaurant or business close for two straight days at all in the Castro.

It says on the sign that it is closed for Modifications, catering, take out, and something else. It’s a lousy location, I don’t know who would think opening a restaurant next to a gas station, is a great idea. It also, really has little foot traffic. The tourists getting off the F head the other direction. Locals tend to walk down the opposite side of the street. They also have mediocre reviews for that location on Yelp

• sjg says:

Sorry, I forgot to specify i was referring to Pic Pica

• Elsewhere says:

Have to agree with you that Pica Pica is oddly placed in the neighborhood, but when it first opened I had lunch there a few times and was generally pleased. The staff were really lovely about explaining their menu and very welcoming, and I liked the food as it was something different than the usual neighborhood fare.

It was featured on Fieri’s Diners, Drive Ins and Dives last year, which either helped or hurt business (but I’m as anti-Guy Fieri as it’s possible to be, so take my opinion with a grain of Donkey Sauce).