Dermalogica coming to Icon ground floor

Dermalogica interior (photo: Roy McKenzie)
Dermalogica interior (photo: Roy McKenzie)

We noticed the coverings were off the new business at the ground floor of the Icon development. It looks like the Castro will be getting a Dermalogica concept store, the skin care company’s 8th such “Concept Space” in the United States. The interior of the store follows the design trend of their other concept store locations with clean product shelving and dark wood bars topped with white counters and bar stool seating at what the company calls a “skin bar”. This bar is not like underwear night at the 440, rather, they will be offering free “face mapping®” and personal service on choosing the right skin care products based on their clients skin type.

One of our tipsters mentioned that even though the store isn’t technically “formula retail” since they operate 11 or less locations in the United States, it still has the feeling of formula retail because Dermalogica is a well known brand that is sold at nearly every skin care or beauty shop in the world. This tipster mentioned that regardless of its classification, he is happy to see the retail space filled and no longer vacant. Hear, hear.

Beauty seems to be a tough business in the Castro recently. Beauty stores The Body Shop and L’occitane were just shuttered. Hopefully Dermalogica can persist where others have recently failed.

No official opening date yet, but the store looks like it’s ready to go so expect the doors to be open any day now.

via tipsters Stephen G., Mark V.

Roy has been a Castro resident since 2010 and is passionate about politics, camping, and food. Follow his babbling on Twitter.

1. It’s my understanding that Bank of the West is subletting this space, so they get final say on which tenant moves in, which is why it is not a men’s underwear store. Perhaps the Biscuit could confirm? If so, it’s just more blandification of the Castro.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 6

• Mitch Mansfield says:

Actually, Bank of the West is the reason why the building got built. With that anchor of a tenant, the developer would not have had the necessary clout to get funding for the building. So it makes sense that Bank of the West controls the subletting.

How many men’s underwear stores have opened and closed in the Castro? I can think of three through the years. I can maybe see why Bank of the West didn’t want that.

Retail is not like “Field of Dreams” where you build it and then the customers just come. I wish retail was that easy. And I’m an (kind of) old retail queen.

• sjg says:

The underwear store didn’t open there because they couldn’t afford the rent. There was no conspiracy to keep an underwear store out of the building.

2. Mitch Mansfield says:

The “11 or less” rule is a bit clumsy, as you point out Roy. Not the best way to make decisions having a blanket rule like that. Folks like Dermalogica can still slip through the cracks.

And the dark wood with white. I know it is a new trend, but I’m already tired of it!

3. Castro Resident says:

it sometimes feels to me that folks write into this and other blogs to just look for the negative. It’s fine, good even. It is a retail lease to a company that is providing a service, will pay taxes, help with the vibrancy of the community, etc. There is nothing wrong here in my opinion. Nothing has “slipped between the cracks”. Nothing is “bland”. If the community wants it, it will thrive and if we don’t it won’t. Vote with your dollars.

• Mitch Mansfield says:

I totally agree with you. My “slip through the cracks” comment was directed at the Planning Commission thinking they need to shield us from formula retail. I’m all for formula retail because it fills vacancies. If there were too many independent retailers in the world we would have no vacancies. Formula retail and mom and pop retail can coexist.

• Funny, Hayes Valley permits no formula retail, yet they have an extremelly low vacancy rate. Why would we want the Castro to look like anywhere USA? I think one of the problems is that there exisits to much of a concentration of business owners. Three or four people owning most of the businesses in the neighborhood does not make for a competitive and vibrant environment.

• Castro Resident says:

I’m not sure ? why do you think that is? What do you think is the solution?

How does one jump from the formula retail issue to 3 or 4 people owning most of the businesses in a neighborhood? Great for Hayes Valley. That is terrific, but the Castro retail is NOT thriving in the current environment. And, if it can’t thrive now, it might never.do so. The City is at 4.5% unemployment, the neighborhood is fully occupied and we still can’t support the retail on Castro Street? That tells me that what some of what is there is not meeting the needs of the community.So, we can stick to our guns, or acknowledge there is a problem, and try to fix it. Or we can just pose endless questions that do not get at the solution. The process confuses me. The process allows approval of another General Store (CVS) but opposes Chipotle. The Levi store is ok, but Hamburger Marys is not. I just think that the rules are terrible broken and a free market would allow the neighborhood to vote with their dollars. What we want will survive and what we don’t won’t survive. Do I think that I would want a big box on Castro Street – No, but the current plan just seems to be leading to more and more vacant or run down stores. Frustrating.

• sjg says:

For the upteenth time.
            THERE IS NO BAN ON FORMULA RETAIL!
            There is a restriction that requires chain stores (11 or more ) to go through a “Conditional Use” Permitting process. This means that input from the community is permitted. If there is no objection or if the merchant agrees to changes or modification, the permit is approved. In some instances, community input is against a project and it fails to get a permit. It can be appealed but few seldom do.
            CVS agreed to not sell liquor and restrict operating hours. Levi’s pays for the LGBT museum.
            Formula retail can open in the Castro, it’s just a more difficult process

• Sanchez Resident says:

Woody – Would you be willing to list the business owners and their businesses? The word “most” would mean more than 50%, at least to me. Thank you.

4. AC94114 says:

Theoretically, catering to the gays with skin care products makes sense. Unfortunately, SF gays aren’t flocking to such stores for their products, as they can be (1.) pricey and (2.) their salespeople can be very aggressive. (I honestly avoided L’Occitane and The Body Shop because of these reasons, but mainly because of the salespeople.)
    All that being said, I agree that I would rather the place not be vacant…and am happy it’s not gonna be another coffee place or smoke shop.

5. Icarus says:

Hmmm. While this isn’t particularly a store I would personally frequent very … erm, frequently … I’m glad to see SOMETHING moving in, and I hope they do well. And yeah, happier to see it’s not another sunglasses store or coffee shop.

6. bluesparrow says: