Gay arcade bar “Project 22″ coming to the Castro

Pacman Ghost Rainbow

The Century at 2200 Market StreetA new gay bar is headed to the Castro, this one with a fun spin. The BAR is reporting that the new gay watering hole, currently named “Project 22″, will be an arcade-themed bar located in the 2,000 square foot retail space at The Century at Market and 15th Street (Bandidos is still on track for the larger 3,000 square foot space). The bar will feature 10 coin-operated arcade games and owners Shawn Vergara and Tiffny Vergara-Chung (Blackbird Bar) are working with Supervisor Wiener to rescind an outdated gambling law that limits the number of arcade games in an establishment so they can add 10 more. There will be no gambling.

Project 22 already has its beer and wine license and is petitioning for its full liquor license with support from the Castro Merchants Association (formerly Merchants of Upper Market and Castro). Eater SF reports the bar will feature 25 beers on tap “with a focus on sours, ciders, and fruit beers.” The bar will also feature wine and low-alcohol cocktails. The bar is expected to be open daily until 2AM.

Start saving your quarters now. Project 22 is expected to open late summer.

via BAR

1. bluesparrow says:

Ok, this concept sounds fun and is just crying out for an 80s theme night.

2. Joe says:

This is a gay owned, local business, investing in our neighborhood. THANK YOU SHAWN! This community needs more Shawn’s and less bitching. I think this is an awesome concept and wish them much success. This bar will fit in well with the new Gay owned Mexican Restaurant opening next door, THANK YOU JESSIE!. In addition, of the new buildings in the neighborhood to me The Century is by far my favorite. I look forward to both of these businesses turning a formally dead corner into something we can all be proud of and enjoy.

Here is my challenge to the other Gay Men who have a great business ideas for the neighborhood. Step up!! We need you! We need you! We need you!

3. Mitch Mansfield says:

Bring it on Wiener bashers. Obviously he is buddy-buddy with the video arcade industry.

This concept makes me long for the old Badlands, with the center section where the restrooms are now being a big bank of arcade games. I hope Project 22 will have sawdust on the floor too!

• Joe says:

Mitch, I just want to play another pinball game of Xenon at the original Stud. But alas, those days as well as a Badlands without Bridge and Tunnels (and Lester’s management) are long gone.

• Mitch Mansfield says:

Well, Badlands was the first gay bar I ever went to. I got there by going through a tunnel and then over a bridge from Contra Costa County. I guess that makes me Bridge and Tunnel. We have ALWAYS been here! So those old days did indeed have Bridge and Tunnel folks you don’t like now.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 5 Thumb down 3

4. ls says:

My understanding was that they won’t sell liquor, only beer and wine (with extensive beer selection).

5. Matthew says:

I guess I know where my quarters will be going.

6. Marilyn Andres says:

7. Icarus says:

I was never a big video game player even as a kid, and now in my 40s I’m not sure I could handle all that noise. (Get off my lawn!) But I love that local gayfolk are trying something new and different. I wish them the best and will do my best to support them.

There is a bar like this in Chicago and it’s a lot of fun. Their games are all set up as free to play – no quarters needed.

9. Chachito415 says:

Oh, please be real and actually arrive! Too many times CB gets my hopes up, then alas, the corner cabaret becomes a jeans shop.

10. My two cents says:

I believe the name will be
    BARCADE.

1. April 22, 2014

[…] reported a few weeks back that the Castro was getting a gay arcade bar currently code named “Project 22″ to be located at the groundfloor of the new Century […]

2. May 13, 2014

[…] new gay arcade bar concept, Project 22, coming to the ground floor retail space in The Century condo build (2200 Market Street), is having […]