PHOTOS: Concrete pours start on Castro sidewalks

20140530-093709-34629508.jpg

UPDATE (1:40PM): Crews are moving fast! Checkout the tweet below these first four photos for more progress shots.

————-

The East-side sidewalk of the 400 block of Castro Street is getting poured! Yay! All sidewalks are set to be poured and cured by the 18th of June, according to Supervisor Scott Wiener and the Castro Community Benefit District.

Commenter Mark Vogel was at the Eureka Valley Neighborhood Association this week and mentioned the project manager said that once the new sidewalk is poured and dried, they will create new pedestrian zones and repave the old sidewalk that is still leftover.

Photos by Steven Bracco

20140530-093452-34492898.jpg20140530-093453-34493254.jpg20140530-095601-35761753.jpg

20140530-095715-35835279.jpg

1. Isn’t that po*u*r?

I have to say Ive been pretty impressed by how quickly they are moving.

3. Mark Vogel says:

Yay! Can’t wait, and I too have been very impressed by how quickly it’s gone. I love the photos, btw. — very typical SF summer morning fog.

4. I’m actually really excited to see this update completed. I think it’ll be great for the neighborhood. I’m less than thrilled about the rainbow crosswalks, as a coworker of mine said, “it’s going to be like a theme park,” but we can’t win them all right? Here’s too a more pedestrian friendly Castro!

I assume once the new parts are poured then they will break up and replace the old concrete?

• Mark Vogel says:

Yes. I was at a meeting of EVNA this week and the project manager said that once the new sidewalk is poured and dried, they will create new pedestrian zones and repave the old sidewalk. The wider sidewalk will be open in time for Pride Week but will not include plants, trees(?), and other details. They will come back in July to finish those.

6. Peter says:

• Mark Vogel says:

Actually, also discussed at EVNA was a pretty robust plan to increase police patrols from 5 am to 3 am (so only 2 hours without coverage) to get homeless people into shelters. My understanding of the plan is that it is part city funds and will likely also be funded by the merchants. Sounds promising. I agree: it’s time to do something once and for all.

7. Matthew says:

I do not see a pull-in for Muni busses. Am I missing that? I thought that there was going to be a pull-in when dropping off and picking up passengers?

But I too am liking the speed of the progress. I just hope it isn’t like the new Bay Bridge which is falling apart an not even a year old.

• rblack says:

Castro St is at it’s widest point when it reaches Market St so there is no need for a pull-in as cars will have room to go around the busses in both directions.

There are pull-ins at Castro and 18th however.

Have any details been released on JWP? I know the plan is to reconfigure the crosswalk across Market but I haven’t heard exactly what “improvements” they were doing for JWP.

9. Peter says:

“also discussed at EVNA was a pretty robust plan to increase police patrols from 5 am to 3 am (so only 2 hours without coverage) to get homeless people into shelters” … cue howls of outrage from the Petrelis / Avicolli-Mecca crowd re: lack of public oversight, “criminalizing homelessness” etc.